Committee on Basic Ecclesial Communities
Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines
3rd floor, CBCP Bldg, 470 Gen Luna St., Intramuros, 1002 Manila
Tel. (02) 527-4054 local 314, cp#09081733611 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
July 12, 2016
To the diocesan BEC in-charge: directors and coordinators,
This is to remind you of our incoming National Gathering of Diocesan BEC Directors and Coordinators which will be held in Malaybalay, Bukidnon on November 28 to December 1, 2016.
The expected arrival date is on November 28 and the opening liturgy will be at 5:00 pm. The venue is at the Diocesan Formation Center/Covered Court, Impalambong, Malaybalay City. You will be accommodated by foster families nearby. The registration fee is P300 each.
There are two full days of sessions on November 29 and 30. The launching Mass of the Year of the Parish as Communion of Communities will be in the afternoon of November 30 which will also serve as the culmination of the National Gathering. Departure is on December 1, 2016. If you want to stay on for an extra day for sightseeing, please inform us beforehand.
For those coming by plane, book your flights to Cagayan de Oro (Laguindingan Airport). The airport is 30 km away from Cagayan de Oro. There is a van or bus that can bring you to the terminal. From the terminal you can take the taxi or jeepney to the Agora bus terminal which is 3 km away. Malaybalay is two – hour’s bus ride from Cagayan de Oro.
As part of the preparation we are asking you to update your diocesan BEC profile. Please also answer the following question:
- What are the challenges, issues or concerns that the local Church / BECs are facing in your region (political, social, economic, environmental, etc.)?
- What are your BECs doing in response to these issues?
Please send the updated profile and response to the questions above on or before October 30, 2016.
Your diocese is entitled to two delegates for this National Gathering (1 priest-director/minister and 1 lay or religious coordinator). Please send us their names as soon as possible and their dates of arrival and departure.
Fr. Amado L. Picardal, CSsR
Please find the attached format for the diocesan BEC profile and the proposal for celebration of the Year of Parish as Communion of Communities presented and approved during the 113th CBCP Plenary Assembly.
Diocesan BEC Profile
Diocesan BEC Director/Priest-in-charge _____________________________________
Diocesan BEC Program Coordinator (lay/religious)_____________________________
Is the formation of BECs a pastoral thrust/priority of the diocese? Yes _ No__
If Yes, when was the promotion/forming of BECs adopted as diocesan pastoral thrust/program? _____
Is the BEC as pastoral thrust reflected in the vision-mission & policies of the diocese? Yes_ No__
Diocesan BEC formation team/commission/committee? Yes __ No__
Are there Vicariate BEC formation teams? Yes __ No __
Is there coordination and collaboration with other diocesan commission in BEC formation? Yes _ No__
If there is , which commissions? ________________________________________
Number of Parishes in the diocese _____
Number of Parishes-with- BECs ____
Number of parishes with BEC formation/animation teams ___
State of Development of these Parishes-with-BECs:
Number of parishes in initial/promotion or piloting stage ___
Number of parishes where BECs are established in most part of the parish ______
Number of parishes with BEC that are fully established and fully alive _______
Number of parishes with BECs fully established but on maintenance mode & stagnating ___
Location of parishes-with-BECs
Rural areas only ___ urban areas/cities only ___ both rural & urban areas __
Social classes where BECs are found
Rural poor __ Urban Poor ___ Middle-class ___ Upper Class ____
Shape/Form of BECs :
chapel-centered only___ chapel-centered with family groupings ____ cells only _____
Are the BECs considered part of the structure of these parishes? Yes _ No__
Are there intermediate structures for linking & coordinating the BECs?
barangay level ___ zone/district level ___ parish level ___ vicariate level ____
Are the BECs represented in the parish pastoral councils? Yes___ No___
Diocesan BEC assembly/exchange ___ Parish BEC assembly/exchange _____ Parish BEC day ____ others __________________________________________________
Page 1 (back page please)
Programs/activities in BECs Related to Evangelization/Catechesis:
Basic Orientation Seminar ______
Weekly Bible/Gospel-sharing ___
Occasional Evangelization Seminars ___
Best Practices in Evangelization______________________________________________
Weaknesses/Areas of Concern related to Evangelization __________________________
Program/Activities in BECs related to Worship/Prayer
Regular BEC mass (monthly or bi-monthly) ____
Weekly Community Bible-Service/Celebration of the Word ___
Prayer service for the dead ____ Block rosary ___ Novena _____
Best Practices related to Worship/Prayer in BECs _____________________________
Weaknesses/Areas of Concern related to Worship/Prayer in BECs _________________
Number of parishes with BEC-based social action component/programs _____
Program/activities in BECs related to social action:
Mutual aid _____ IGP/Livelihood ____ Cooperatives ___ Sustainable agriculture ___ good governance ____ political education ___ ecology ___ peace-building ____
Best Practices/Effective means in BEC-based social action program ________________
Weaknesses/Areas of Concern in BEC-based social action program ________________
Has the diocese adopted the modified-tithing sytem? Yes__ No_____
Number of parishes with modified-tithing system/Spirituality of Stewardship (SoS) Program in BECs _____
Best practices in modified tithing/SoS in BEC _________________________________
Weaknesses/areas of concern related to tithing/SoS _____________________________
Summing –up: Type of BECs in the diocese
Liturgical-evangelical (bible-sharing & liturgical celebration only) all_ most__ a few__
Holistic (bible-sharing, liturgical with social action component) all__ most __ a few ___
Proposal for Preparation and Celebration
2017: Year of the Parish
as Communion of Communities
|In this year we will discern the quality of faith life in the parish, the fellowship, belongingness, and participation experienced by its members.
Efforts will be focused on making the parish a communion of communities, a communion of Basic Ecclesial Communities and of covenanted faith-communities and ecclesial movements.
All these various communities should be thus integrated into the life and mission of the parish so that the parish will be truly be a faith community immersed in the lives of its people.
- CBCP-BEC National Assembly November 2015 (information about 2017 theme, asking dioceses and regions to start preparation)
- Drafting and Production of Modules for BEC Evangelization & Formation
- Initial Talks with LOMAs re: partnership for BEC Evangelization
- Meeting & Coordination with CBCP Commissions
Suggest inclusion of the theme in their planning for 2017.
- Retreat for bishops on the 2017 theme, July 4-7, 2016
- Regional BEC Assemblies
- Dissemination / Introduction of BEC Evangelization / Formation Seminars
- CBCP Pastoral Letter on the Year of Parish as Communion of Communities to be read on 1st Sunday of Advent in all the churches and chapels all over the country (November 27, 2016)
- National Gathering of Diocesan BEC Directors & Coordinators and Launching of Year of Parish as Community of Communities (Malaybalay, November 28 – December 1, 2016)
- Planning re: formation, celebration, legacy for 2017 (diocesan/parish levels)
- Implementation at the parish level of whatever plans the various CBCP commissions come up with in relation to parish / BECs. If there are annual national conference / gathering initiated by various CBCP Commissions we propose that it include sharing / discussion on their Particular Area in Relation to BECs, for example:
– ECL – Liturgies for parish & BECs
– ECBA – Bible in Parish & BEC,
– ECFL – Family & Life in Parish & BECs,
– NASSA – Social Action in Parish & BECs,
– ECCE – BEC & Catholic Education/Catechetic,
– ECY – Youth involvement in Parish & BECs,
– ECLA – Involvement of Lay Organizations Movements and Associations in the parish & BECs.
- Ongoing BEC Evangelization & Formation Seminars at the parish / community levels that will reach out to the “un-churched”, nominal, alienated Catholics.
- Simultaneous Nationwide Celebration of the Parish as Communion of Communities on Trinity Sunday
(A whole day event in the parish which gathers all the BECs and also other faith-communities. It can be celebrated on Saturday which culminates with an anticipated Mass or on Sunday which begins with a Mass. There will be talks and sharing of experiences, agape/table-fellowship, cultural presentations, etc.)
- Diocesan BEC Assemblies / BEC Day
- National Gathering of Diocesan BEC Directors & Coordinators/ Culmination/Consultation on the next National BEC Assembly (November 2017)