CBCP Committee on Basic Ecclesial Communities
Archdiocese of Manila & suffragan dioceses in NCR
(Cubao, Kalookan, Novaliches, Paranaque, Pasig, Antipolo, Imus, Malolos)
The TV Maria’s Video Summary of the opening and plenary sessions of the 3rd BEC National Assembly Nov. 11-13, 2015 in Paco, Manila, Philippines.
PROGRAM & SCHEDULE
3rd CBCP-BEC National Assembly
Schedule of Activities
Nov. 11, 2015
8 am – 3 pm -Arrival and Registration (Paco Catholic School)
3 pm – Opening Mass (Paco Parish Church) – Archbishop Socrates Villegas
4 pm – Welcome/Orientation
5 pm – proceed to respective host parishes/BECs/families Dinner/Welcome activities parish level then proceed to foster families/BECs
Nov 12, 2015
8:00 am – back to venue of Plenary session (Paco Catholic School Auditorium)
8:15 am – Morning Prayer
8:30 am – Plenum: Opening Talk – BECs in the Philippines – Thanksgiving for 50 Years of Vatican II’s Spirit of Renewal (Orlando Cardinal Quevedo)
10 am – Plenum: Regional presentation/sharing of experiences (20-25 min per region)
12 noon – Lunch break
1:30 pm – Continue regional presentation/sharing
4:00 pm – Mass (Presider: Archbishop Jose Palma)
5:00 pm – back to host parishes/BEC/community-level activities: dinner/Gospel sharing, etc.)
Nov. 13, 2015
8:00 am – Plenary session (Paco Catholic School Auditorium)
8:15 – Morning Prayer
8:30 – 12:00 Plenum: con’t: Regional presentation/sharing
1:00 – 3:00 pm – Integration (c/o Mgr. Manny Gabriel)
3:00 – Trends, Concerns and Challenges/ Consultation on 2017 (Fr. Amado L. Picardal)
4:00 pm – Final Talk – ” BEC in the Philippines: Responding as a Community of Missionary Disciples to the Challenge of Pope Francis to be a Poor Church for the Poor” ( Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle)
5:30 pm – Mass (presider: Archbishop Romulo Valles) 6:30 pm – Dinner 7:00 pm – Cultural show/solidarity night 9:00 pm – back to host parishes/BECs
Nov 14, 2015
8:00 – Motorcade from various parishes/dioceses of NCR to Cuneta Astrodome
10:00 – Convergence, Procession (DFA to Cuneta)
12:00 – 6:00 pm Culmination activities/ program/ Mass at the Cuneta Astrodome (official delegates plus members of BECs in NCR) Presided by Luis Cardinal Tagle.
4:00 pm – Mass
6:00 pm – back to foster parishes/BECs
The Areopagus Communications video of the Homily of His Excellency Abp. Socrates B. Villegas, during the opening mass of the 3rd CBCP-BEC National Assembly at Paco, Manila, Philippines last November 11, 2015.
MOST REV. GEORGE B. RIMANDO, D.D.
Chairman, CBCP-BEC Committee
Magandang hapon sa lahat!
Maayong hapon sa tanan! (Cebuano / Ilonggo)
Na-imbag a Malem /Rabii Yo amin kakabsat ko ti BEC (Ilocano)
Dios Marhay na hapon / Banggi (Bicol)
Starting today until Saturday evening, we are all expected to spend time with one another to celebrate together our sense of COMMUNION of COMMUNITIES from the local Churches throughout the country.
Because of this vision and journey towards becoming a communion of Small / Basic Communities, we shall be LISTENING to each other’s BEC stories that will hopefully enrich our individual experience.
To highlight the importance and value of this gathering, we invited two great speakers, His Eminence Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle and His Eminence Orlando Cardinal Quevedo. Both of them will share their insights into the chosen theme “BEC in the Philippines: Thanksgiving for 50 years of Vatican II’s Spirit of Renewal and Responding as a Community of Missionary Disciples to Pope Francis’ Call to Become a Poor Church for the Poor.”
Our Eucharistic celebrations – the Opening Mass we just had and the succeeding ones – are meant to remind us that our BECs, whether on the initial stage or on the journey for years is mainly the work of the Holy Spirit.
By listening attentively to the BEC stories, the talks, homilies and our encounter with host families and foster parishes / BECs, we may discern the promptings of the Spirit. Thus in the process, we grow to becoming a Listening Church!
And so, on behalf of the BEC Committee of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines, I warmly welcome the delegates to the 3rd CBCP-BEC National Assembly. Maraming Salamat Po!
PLENUM: OPENING TALK – BECS IN THE PHILIPPINES – THANKSGIVING FOR 50 YEARS OF VATICAN II’S SPIRIT OF RENEWAL (ORLANDO CARDINAL QUEVEDO)
The Areopagus Communications video of the opening talk “Thanksgiving for 50 Years of Vatican II’s Spirit of Renewal “ by: His Excellency Orlando Cardinal Quevedo, OMI, during the 3rd CBCP-BEC National Assembly at Paco, Manila, Philippines last November 12, 2015.
DADITAMA BEC Report
ZAMBO SIEGE MERGED VIDEOS BEC Report
JOLO BEC Report
MARBEL BEC Report
CENTRAL VISAYAS DUCETAGMATA BEC Report
EASTERN VISAYAS BEC Report
LEGAZPI BEC Report
The Areopagus Communications video of the homily of His Excellency Archbishop Jose S. Palma, during the 3rd CBCP-BEC National Assembly at Paco, Manila, Philippines last November 12, 2015.
” BEC in the Philippines Responding as a Community of Missionary Disciples to the Challenge of Pope Francis to be a Poor Church for the Poor”
By: Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle
PCP II CORPORATE RECEPTION AND ACCEPTANCE OF VATICAN II
- PCP II ecclesiological categories: Church of Communion and Mission, Church of the Poor
- For the Philippines, the expression of this renewed church as envisioned by Vatican II is in BEC
- When people ask: Where is a renewed church? We should answer: In the BEC.
A COMMUNITY OF MISSIONARY DISCIPLES
- Following of Jesus in mission
- A Christian community is a concrete expression of the spirit of communion
- Communion: people hold things in common
- What do we have in common?
- Community nurtured by the spirit of communion in the Word of God
- Faith has a community - What a community hold in common is their faith
PCP II ADDS OTHER CHARACTERISTICS
- Unity in diversity, ang pagiging isa
- Equality in dignity: source of communion; also respects different stages of life, charisms, roles, gifts, states of life
- Shared responsibility
- Call for participation for the Church of the Philippines is a call for participation among the lay
- Responding as a community, not just individually, we respond together
- Di pwedeng mamili between missionary and disciples
– missionary na lang ako, ikaw na lang ang disciple; it cannot be like this. The call is to be ‘missionary disciples’.
- Communion of Disciples has a missionary character
- We want to be with Jesus, but where is Jesus? Jesus is in mission!
- Going out to the world? This is not a tour, this is mission. - EN – bring the gospel to all strata of society
HOPEFULLY THIS COMMUNITY OF MISSIONARY DISCIPLES WILL LEAD US TO BE A POOR CHURCH FOR THE POOR
COMMUNION WITH THE POOR AND MISSION WITH THE POOR
- To be a Poor Church of the Poor
- Addressing the reality of cultures, the economy of exclusion is a direct threat to communion
- JPII 1987: looking at the basic services of it is disappointing to see the gap,the masses of marginalized, the outcast; this is not an economic decision, but a theological one
- Deut15:8-19? Exclusion is against communion, against discipleship, so communion is also a mission to include the marginalized
- Yung Iba pag nagbigay, lalong naooppress ang binigyan, make them feel small, some form of giving further humiliates the poor
- We are simply stewards of creation; goods of the earth to be shared by all
- One recommendation of Pope Francis: personal encounter with the excluded poor
- (Referring to communities living around garbage dump sites) Kung nakatira ka sa mga itinapon ng Iba, kung kapitbahay mo ay ang mga itinapon ng iba, maaaring tinapon na rin ang tingin mo sa sarili
- Poor girl as teacher (Pope Francis’ encounter with a street child in UST during papal visit January 2015): what it means to search for God in the midst of garbage
- Encounter with the poor as encounter of communion - Inclusion of the poor in our consciousness, in our hearts, in our communities
SUMMARY STATEMENT: PCP-II as the corporate acceptance of Vatican II in the Philippine Church. BEC as the concrete face of a Renewed Church of PCP-II. BEC as a Renewed Church is a Community of Missionary Disciples. As a Community of Missionary Disciples, BECs are called to be a Poor Church of the Poor.
The Areopagus Communication video of the homily of His Excellency Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle, during the 3rd CBCP-BEC National Assembly at Cuneta Astrodome, Pasay City, Philippines last November 13, 2015.